Elgin Schoolhouse State Historic Site

Elgin, NV

Located on Kane Springs Road in Elgin, the one-room Elgin Schoolhouse educated several generations of children grades one through eight from 1922 to 1967. It was established to provide convenient schooling for the children of local ranchers at a time when transportation to the closest school, which was 35 miles away was often through horse-drawn wagon. The schoolhouse was restored to its original condition and appearance in 2005. About half the items displayed in the building are original to the Elgin Schoolhouse, with the remainder authentic to that time period. The site is open to visitors on Saturdays and Sundays in April, May, September and October. Admission to the building is $1.

Website

Return to full map